Totton wife Sophie Wood (31) jailed for more than five years for attacking ex-friend in Pennington Street


A WOMAN who scarred a former lifelong friend’s face after he attacked her with a garden tool has been jailed for over five years.

Sophie Wood (31) attacked Sarah Cooper in Pennington on July 9 last year because she believed the victim was a ‘weed’, Southampton Crown Court heard.

Ms Cooper had obtained a restraining order against her former boyfriend Lewis Cooper (no relation), prosecutor Charlie Gabb said, which angered recovering crack cocaine user Wood.

Sophie Bois

He said the exact relationship between Mr Cooper and Wood was not known, but the defendant had written online about how she was going to get Mrs Cooper, whom she had known since they were children.

“It had nothing to do with her [Sophie Wood] at all, but she made it her business,” Mr. Gabb said. “She had posted messages online about Sarah Cooper saying how she was going to ‘get her in’.”

Just after 5 p.m. on the day of the incident, Wood confronted Ms Cooper on her doorstep. But the couple appeared to reconcile and walked away from the property together, Mr Gabb said.

In an apparent “staged performance”, however, Mr Gabb recounted how Mr Cooper, his father and another woman then jumped on the victim shortly afterwards in Efford Way.

Mr Cooper shoved Ms Cooper before prompting Wood to attack her, exclaiming: ‘Come on, give it to him, give it to the weed,’ Mr Gabb told the court.

“The two women then started fighting,” he said, throwing punches, shouting and pulling his hair before throwing himself to the ground.

The fight appeared over, with Ms Cooper walking away but Wood found an “edging tool” nearby and struck the victim in the head.

When Ms. Cooper fell to the ground, Wood punched again, knocking her unconscious and bruising her chest and legs, before walking away.

Ms Cooper regained consciousness but was ignored by residents and left alone on the streets bloodied until police found her, Mr Gabb said.

The incident happened in Efford Way, Pennington
The incident happened in Efford Way, Pennington

In hospital, she had four stitches to a wound above her left eye, which will leave a permanent scar.

Wood, of Powell Crescent, Totton, initially pleaded not guilty to a charge of intentional injury and, in her defense, insisted she was the victim.

The trial was delayed, and Wood later changed her mind and admitted she was guilty.

The court heard she had committed 57 previous offences, including assault and battery, petty theft and burglary of her mother’s home.

For this, Wood had been jailed for 18 months and given a restraining order from contacting her mother.

In defence, Paul Walker said his remorseful client couldn’t control her temper and jail was inevitable, which was a shame because in the 18 months leading up to the incident she had stayed out of trouble and got away with it. weaned off the drug.

He explained that she had a violent and abusive childhood that required her care at age 14 and that her development was delayed.

Judge Christopher Parker had asked for a special report on whether he should classify Wood as a dangerous offender, but added, overall, that he did not think she was.

This was based on his remorse and change in behavior before the attack. Although she concocted a “ridiculous story” in her defense, her eventual plea showed she realized the impact of her offense, he said.

Wood was sentenced to a total sentence of five years and four months in prison.


Comments are closed.